Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Seattle Art Museum inspires

"Takpekpe" (means "Conference") by El Anatsui, 2006
This metal piece in the Seattle Art Museum stopped me in my tracks last week. It really shouts "art quilt" and yet it's one layer made of metal scraps. I was allowed to take photos without the flash, so here are a few shots, all of the same piece.






Here is the accompanying sign, which explains it better than I could:


Here are a few photos of the Ewe textiles exhibit mentioned in the sign:




More African pieces at the Seattle Art Museum

Spectacular metal suit by Nick Cave in the same gallery
My main reason for visiting the museum was to see the Picasso exhibit (which did not permit photos), but these other pieces really grabbed me. I'm drawn to the strong colors and lines of African art. Nick Cave is an artist from Chicago known for his outrageous "suits," but his pieces meshed perfectly with the African pieces.

Inspiration everywhere!

4 comments:

Judy Ferguson said...

Spectacular photos. Just wonderful. Thanks for posting these.

Martha Ginn said...

We are privileged to see the photos you shared of the "metal cloth" exhibit. How fascinating to see the innovation shown by this creation!
Martha Ginn

Marilyn Wall said...

Sherrie you are so right. I would have thought it a quilt. It is wonderful.

Nancy said...

Thanks for taking me on a mini trip to the museum. Wonderful photos!