Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Decisions, decisions on circle quilt


If you're a long-time follower, you'll recognize these circle blocks from YEARS ago. Since then they lived in a Ziploc bag on a shelf because I couldn't decide how to join them.

I had quilted each embroidered quarter circle to a larger square of fluffy black batting. That's as far as the plan went, then I hit a roadblock and couldn't decide what to do next. Too many options to think about when you don't do things the traditional way.


Today I told myself I would forge ahead with no second thoughts. So I pulled out a piece of lime green duck cloth and spray-basted the blocks onto it in this arrangement. I'm going to leave the edges of the green cloth raw and raveled.

So far so good, but the next question is how to attach them permanently. Some possibilities: tack each corner with a little zig-zag and leave the tails dangling; stitch around each square through all layers -- but with invisible or colored thread, and zig-zag or straight stitch?; tack each corner with a colorful button. I'm leaning toward tacking the edges with a tight zig-zag and then putting a big bold button in the center of each circle.

I WILL decide tomorrow!


Have a colorful day

5 comments:

Julia said...

I remember these blocks! I really like them. Hopefully I see them all put together next time I visit.

sonja said...

what if you mixed up the colors a bit? just saying,it might be more interesting less matchy. looks like a fun project worthy anyway you go!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Oh, I can't wait to see it finished! I always liked fractured circles, and like the idea of a long panel with maybe a bead fringe at the bottom... just sayin'!

Robbie said...

I think these blocks are so cool!!! Love the colors!!! You'll figure it out!

Terri Stegmiller said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!!