Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Friday, October 7, 2016

Hiking at Devil's Lake, Wisconsin

Hiking at Devil's Lake State Park in Wisconsin.

I've been absent from the blog because I've been in California and Wisconsin visiting family for a couple of weeks. I'll just blog about our last day in Wisconsin, which started rainy but by the afternoon had turned into a perfect day for a fall hike.


We went with our son and his wife to Devil's Lake State Park, about 35 miles from Madison.  The first leg of the hike was easy and level, winding our way through large rocks along the shore.


Then the hard part started: a 500-foot climb to the top of the bluffs. My yoga didn't prepare my leg muscles for this part, but everyone else did fine. I was huffing and puffing and kept stopping to give my legs time to recover. 


But I made it, and the view was spectacular! Here you can see how far we came from the lake shore. Across the lake, rolling hills had turned into a patchwork of green and gold trees.



When we got back, Rachel and Keith made us a delicious Mexican feast, starting with vegan queso and guacamole. Next came veggie enchiladas with my favorite salsa verde.

Too early the next morning we were on a plane headed back to the Northwest. I snapped the photo below as we descended to Sea-Tac.


Have a colorful day


2 comments:

Lynda said...

Sherrie, What a beautiful place. Thanks for sharing it.

The Idaho Beauty said...

I can't believe I lived that close and didn't know about this state park. I'm sure we would have checked it out and loved it. After all, I was supposedly always looking for lakes that might have some topography verging on mountains around them. ;-)