Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Thank you and Happy New Year!


Thank you all for supporting me during this rough year. I'm happy to report as 2019 draws to a close that I've come through it feeling stronger, more independent, and more joyful than ever, thanks to your comments, emails, cards and calls. There's nothing stronger than a safety net of women (and a few good men)!


I found a lot of solace from inspirational quotes, so I started collecting them this year. I printed them out and posted them around the house to make myself feel strong. Here are some of my favorites.






In the beginning, I had to remind myself of this Mary Oliver quote a lot. I've finally stopped worrying.




Also in the beginning, I couldn't imagine ever feeling joy again. But now I am, indeed, "in love with being alive again."


I took this quote by Joseph Campbell to heart. Every time the pain became overwhelming, I turned to the joy I find in color and quilting:

"Find a place inside 
where there's joy,
And the joy will
burn out the pain."

I kept sewing and looking at beautiful colors throughout the year as a form of art therapy. I made this quilt that I titled "Choosing Joy" because that's what I chose to do this year. I only used colors that make me happy.




I'm so grateful for my friends and family who kept telling me that I was stronger than I thought I was. I felt so lost and sad the first few months that I finally decided I might as well believe them because I had nothing more to lose. And they were right! 
Thank you. 



Here is my resolution for 2020 
-- to be like a rainbow.


And here is my wish for all of you!



 Namaste
and
Goodbye, 2019



6 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Absolutely beautiful, inspiring and filled with Joy! You really could write a book on this year, but I'm hoping you will be so busy enjoying your life that you won't have time!
Wishing you a year filled with joy, wonderful bright colors, and all the things that make you smile!

Gerrie said...

I was thinking about you on Christmas and thinking how far you have come and how proud I am to know you because you have shown such strength and courage. You have been creative. You seem to be living a life full of good friends and fun and great food! But still when I read your post tonight, it brought tears to my eyes. You rock!

Lynda said...

I've been thinking about you a lot this year, and so happy to see all of the support you have with friends and family. Love all of the quotes. The one that especially talked to me was the Peanuts one about people walking away. Good stuff. I'm so glad you are "in love with being alive again." 2020 is going to be a great year for you. Can't wait to see your continuing journey. xoxo

Robbie said...

For me, I love the Snoopy saying best!!!! 2020 is your year!!!!! And have I mentioned your hair cut is adorable!

Edith Bieri-Hanselmann said...

Hi Sherrie, I love your quotes and they are just right. I am so glad you feel better and hope it will stay so and even get better. I know from own experience how Long this way will be. Take care of yourself and look Forward and be optimistic this is the most helpful Thing to deal with our experiences.
Edith

The Idaho Beauty said...

I love seeing all these inspiration quotations in one place and have added some of them to my book of quotations. And I especially love seeing that bright and happy quilt you made once again. Yes, time to look forward now to the new year. :-)