Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Saturday, May 23, 2020

Unpacking the little quilts



Last Saturday I showed you how I dealt with all of my big quilts, and this Saturday I'll show you how I store my little ones. They all fit in this plastic bin, but I wanted to get some of them out where I could enjoy them.


So I pinned a selection on my design wall, a piece of two-inch insulation board covered with grey flannel on one side and black on the other. I can easily change out the quilts as well as move the design board if it's in the way because it's so lightweight.


Most of these little ones are beaded and are either mounted on mat board or framed.


This pink one is called "Saying Goodbye." The one below (detail) is called "The Watcher."


I originally matted and framed the beaded heart, but the editor of the book I made it for suggested wrapping it around a stretcher frame to update it. The book is "Creative Quilting With Beads" and was published by Lark.


Here are some of the framed ones. I had a spiral theme going on during that period.




I made the little Southwest log cabin after a friend gave me the saguaro cactus beads and challenged me to feature them in something. That was long before I moved to the land of the giant saguaros.


And here is the roof of my Tucson house, complete with a dove.


Another friend made this little quilt. It's so true!


Finally, a sign of our times:



 Have a colorful day

3 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

These little quilts are so lovely. I especially like the look of the matted and framed ones - poo to that editor that thought this treatment outdated - lol. I love the little one you made me when Judi and I were in Rochester. I rest it on a small easel near my computer station with a piece of poster board behind it for stability.

sonja said...

lovely little quilts unroll your art history and interests. Love how you displayed them! i made a comment recently that i felt like i was making uni bra or half bikini tops while crafting facial masks.
(i used to make bikinis long ago) love the quote! oh, i saw in Germany an outdoor restaurant th handed out hats to people ...with pool noodles attached to the top! Pool noodles are so versatile!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

What lovely gems your little quilts are! They need to be out on display for sure! You make me want to dive in and make a bunch, but I'm up to my hips in mask and bowl making right now. Maybe someday, I can get back to doing little gems, and I'll come right back to this post for inspiration!