Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Monday, February 15, 2021

Challenge Week 3 and a new shirt

It's week 3 of the Feb./March Challenge, where I challenged myself to finish three applique panels that I made 10 years ago. This past week I finished the second one by adding borders and doing minimal quilting.

Since I had painted all of the fabric for the panel, I pulled out some old fabric that I painted and used it for the borders. I didn't have enough for the binding, so I painted another piece:




Here are some closeups of the embroidery. I can't believe I did this 10 years ago!



Here are the two pieces I finished and the third one that's still waiting.


I also made another shirt from the Simple Elegant Tee pattern. I made the cap sleeve version and added my own pockets.


I used a soft rayon batik that I found at a quilt shop.



It's cut out in one piece, except for the neck binding strip and the pockets.


After all that sewing, I got out of the house this morning for a hike with a friend on the Linda Vista Loop Trail. It was 3.2 miles of mostly very rocky elevation. The first mile plus was up, up, up, then down, down, down, and finally a brief level stretch back to the car. 

I'm linking to Lynda Heines' blog for the challenge: feb-march-challenge-week-3

Also linking to Nina-Marie's a-visit-to-art-museum-on-off-wall-friday.html
Her post this week is a great one on how to make the most of a museum visit.


Have a colorful day

4 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Your hand painted fabrics are a perfect finish to your lovely hand work! And that top is great... such a classic style!
Boy, with all this hiking, you must be shrinking! ;-)

Lynda said...

Love how they turned out. Also, love that shirt and the fact it's only one piece. I think I'll need to check that out! I'm thinking of you in the warm hiking while I'm here at home looking out the window at the snow!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Perfect finishing for that second piece. These are turning out so lovely. We can certainly amaze ourselves by what we accomplished in the past. I often find myself thinking, was that really me who did this?

Norma Schlager said...

I love the hand embroidery on those pieces. So well worth finishing.