Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Monday, January 24, 2022

"Birth and death are only doors ..."



"Gateways On the Journey" by Sherrie Spangler



Thich Nhat Hanh, the exiled Vietnamese monk who taught the Western world about the Buddhist philosophy of mindfulness, died last Saturday at age 95. Fortunately, he left many books and other writings, so he will live on forever through his words. Many years ago, while struggling with some heavy emotional issues, I discovered his books and embraced them. They brought me and countless others around the world much peace.

And on to a J.R.R. Tolkien quote. For now, I'm mainly hiking with the time I have, soaking in the sun and desert wonders.

Catalina State Park north of Tucson


The giant saguaros, which only grow in the Sonoran Desert, never cease to amaze me.

I'm doing a bit of sewing, working on more spirit dolls. Here's the latest one:

Have a colorful day


2 comments:

Robbie said...

I'm not sure I've seen your 'Gateways on the journey' quilt before.....I love it....I am so happy for you on this 'next' journey of your life...you see to be thriving living in AZ...friends, family visits, food!!! (you know I had to add that), your textile work!!!! I am not familiar with Thich Nhat Hanh's work but might look him up at our library. Thanks!!!!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

When we seek healing, we find it. I, too will look up his writings. I love your latest Spirit Doll... they just keep getting better!