Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Monday, May 23, 2022

Big news in my yard!

 

I thought I'd update you on my soap tree yucca (above) and giant agave that started sending up stalks this spring. It appears they've reached their lofty peaks and are now blooming. The three yucca stalks on the soap tree are loaded with creamy white flowers that the birds and bees love. You can see the skeleton of last year's stalk to the right. It's probably three or four feet long!

Now the flowers are dropping and creating a white carpet below.


Meanwhile, in the front yard the agave stalk that looks like a giant asparagus spear has disappeared into the neighboring tree top. It must be at least 15 feet high!

It started sending out side branches that are now covered with buds. I'm not sure if they'll open into flowers or if this is it.


What I do know is that this is the beginning of the end for this agave. They only bloom once in their life, then they die. But first they drop seeds around themselves so that baby agaves will replace them.



Here's my iced tea stalk! I bought a pack of silicone reusable straws in bright colors and this green is my go-to one because it's my favorite color. I also wanted to show you my new handblown Mexican glass. I've been looking for affordable ones since I moved here and I finally found some at Home Goods of all places. I drink iced tea all day and recently started tucking in mint sprigs that make it so much tastier and more colorful.

Finally, my friend Beth sent this out last week. 
I love my octopus friends!


Have a colorful day

1 comment:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Your desert plants are amazing, so big and beautiful!