Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Friday, March 24, 2023

Wildflowers and shoulder setback


It's been a challenging week because of a big setback with my shoulder recovery combined with gloomy weather, but things started to turn around today. The black clouds finally lifted and I got out for a brisk hike with the Shady Ladies! Here's the view from my house this morning.



The desert wildflowers continue to spread their golden and blue blooms. We hiked the 50-Year-Trail in Catalina State Park and saw a lot of other hikers and horseback riders, making it sort of festive.



I spotted this little bud on a saguaro cactus. I'm not sure if it's the beginning of a new arm or something else. It's too early for saguaro flowers, plus they're usually up around the top of the cactus. The ocotillos (below) are getting their little green leaves so they no longer look like grey sticks.


My shoulder situation is that at PT on Monday, my therapist added some new exercises that really hurt, and by Tuesday morning I couldn't raise my injured arm at all. It was excruciatingly painful for the next three days to even try to lift a fork, and I was afraid I had done permanent damage. 

When I went back to PT yesterday, she said I didn't tear anything and that it was just a really sore muscle. So she said to back off on my daily home exercises except for stretching. That seems to have helped somewhat and today it's not quite as sore, but still not as good as it had been. I had finally, almost three months after surgery, been able to lift that arm enough to help shampoo my hair, but that's out of the question now. It helps that the sunshine is back. I was feeling pretty down earlier in the week with the clouds and drizzle and pain and my daughter and her fiancĂ© having left and being alone again.

Tomorrow I'm going across town to the quilt shops for some color therapy. I'll report back if I find anything interesting.

Have a colorful day


4 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Oh, I hope the setback is just a short one! Fingers crossed that you feel improvement soon. I hope you have a good color therapy session today!

I'm glad you were able to get in a hike - I think the weather is due to improve soon so you'll be able to get more hikes in.

Jody said...

I hope your shoulder turns around asap! It is so frustrating (not to mention disappointing) when we are not healing is not as linear (in a forward direction) as we hoped it would be. Hugs!

The Idaho Beauty said...

I too had a bad experience with some exercises my home care PT added early on and refused to do those again until I was farther along in healing. He was just moving me along too fast. Remember your yoga training to "move with awareness" and feel feel feel as my teacher would say. Find that edge and don't push beyond it. Color therapy sounds just the thing!

Lynda Heines said...

Oh Sherry, I'm so sorry you have a setback. Sending you healing thoughts.