Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Monday, May 29, 2023

Mah Jongg, a concert and creativity



Some of us from Eating Club -- oops, I mean Book Club -- decided to learn Mah Jongg to give us something to do to pass the summer days when it's too hot to go outside except before dawn. So our expert Mah Jongg player, Kathie, volunteered to teach us. Here she is with her t-shirt that says: "It's a Mah Jongg thing ... You wouldn't understand," and her Mah Jongg earrings.

"You wouldn't understand" is exactly right! This is just a tiny bit of what we have to learn!!! And this is Beth's "You've got to be kidding me!" look.




Kathie went around the table and advised us on how to play our tiles. Sandy is taking it more seriously than Beth.


But guess who won? ME!!! We played two games and each time I got three Jokers (a good thing) and they didn't think that was fair!


Here's my winning hand (or whatever you call it).


Last night we went to a Tucson Pops concert at Reid Park. The evening weather was delightful.




And I took this quote to heart and started cutting out flowers and fancy beverages for another vase quilt. No thinking, just doing.


Have a colorful day


1 comment:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Wow, that does look complicated! I play a mah jong game online, but all I do is match symbols... guess I'd have to work hard to learn the "real" game!
Sounds like you are really enjoying your new vase project - good one for staying inside during the heat!