Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Thankful for book club

On the heels of my literary post yesterday and the day before Thanksgiving, I thought I'd post some pictures of my book club because I haven't done that in awhile and I'm very thankful for having them as friends.

A few days after last week's meeting, we reconvened at Tohono Chul (above) to celebrate Beth's big birthday. Those pretty pink drinks are prickly pear lemonade. 


And at book club, we celebrated our November birthdays for Beth and Barb with a scrumptious German chocolate cake ...

... a little wine ...

... gin and tonic in Barb's "water" bottle ...



... and, not to be outdone, 
Meegan's salad dressing!


Our book for the month was "The Only Woman In the Room" by Marie Benedict. It wasn't available at my library until the day before book club, so I still haven't read it but I'm starting it tonight. Here's a synopsis from Goodreads:

"She was beautiful. She was genius. Could the world handle both? A novel about Hedy Lamar.

"Hedy Kiesler is lucky. Her beauty leads to a starring role in a controversial film and marriage to a powerful Austrian arms dealer, allowing her to evade Nazi persecution despite her Jewish heritage. But Hedy is also intelligent. At lavish Vienna dinner parties, she overhears the Third Reich's plans. One night in 1937, desperate to escape her controlling husband and the rise of the Nazis, she disguises herself and flees her husband's castle. 

"She lands in Hollywood, where she becomes Hedy Lamarr, screen star. But Hedy is keeping a secret even more shocking than her Jewish heritage: she is a scientist. She has an idea that might help the country and that might ease her guilt for escaping alone -- if anyone will listen to her."

Tomorrow, five of us from book club are celebrating Thanksgiving together. This is probably going to happen next:


Happy Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

What a fabulous trip you had - I would be interested in seeing all the same things, although we did visit Carmel once and couldn't figure out what the big hoorah was about it. I was sorry that we never spent any time checking out Monteray, can't remember why.

Oh those cheeky book club members! And a new use for the ubiquitous water bottles! How nice you have a group to spend Thanksgiving with and yes, those extra pounds. . . I can feel them lurking already - lol

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Sounds like a lot of fun for you all, and I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving! You've come a long way since you moved to your lovely home, made friends, hiked like a crazy woman... I'm very glad to see you enjoying your life in so many ways!

Lynda Heines said...

What a great group! What fun! I'm putting that book on my list too. Happy Thanksgiving!

Robbie said...

I read that book!!! Awesome!!! Read her other ones too!!!! So interesting...and you had me at "cake"!