Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Monday, October 14, 2024

Spiraling

Gold foil spiral

I love spirals! I've been using them in my art almost from the beginning -- quilted spirals, stamped spirals, beaded, foiled and cutout spirals. The photos here are just a sampling of my art with spirals. 


 Gold foil center spiral, fused sheer spiral, and beaded spiral

The spiral is one of the oldest symbols used by humans, going back at least 10,000 years on rock art, pottery, baskets. Contemporary jewelry is filled with spirals.

Image of a spiraling hurricane as seen from space

Its meanings have been interpreted as symbolizing water, wind ...

 

Beaded spiral represents monsoon wind and energy 


Stamped with gold paint

... snakes and snails ...


Stamped with blue and iridescent paint

... migration, a journey, a search for one's center or moving outward ...



I quilted each of these two pieces with one big spiral

... evolution, eternity ...



... the cycle of growth and the seasons ...



I often use the spiral to symbolize the sun.


It also symbolizes fertility, which is why I bead spirals on the bellies of my female figures.


Some cultures consider it a powerful symbol of directed power.


I love sewing my fabric bowls with spirals, curving out and out until I feel it's done (or the rope runs out). It's a freeing, meditative sewing. My mind can be blank or can wander, but there are no questions that need to be answered.

Spirals are easy -- no corners or other abrupt changes. Wouldn't it be nice if life was always like that?



I could go on and on, like an enlarging spiral, but I'll stop here. I hope you've enjoyed the trip!



Have a colorful day


2 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

One of my all-time favorite symbols, along with sunbursts! We have that in common, and it has become your trademark for sure!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Wonderful post. Love seeing all the ways you've used spirals and all the different meanings.