Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Saturday, May 12, 2018

Quilts, showers and flowers


I'm pretty much settled into the new house, with just a few more quilts to hang. Dave gamely climbed onto a bookcase to hang "Garden Gone Wild" in the dining room.


In going through my old quilts, I came across "Morning Light," which hadn't seen the light of day since I made it nine years ago because I didn't like it. Then I caught a glimpse of it sideways, below, and decided that it has potential. I like the vertical movement. The top version was supposed to represent a sunrise illuminating rolling fields, but it just didn't cut it for me.


I used mostly cottons and silks that I painted, along with some sheers.


Speaking of light, we had a sudden downpour the other day illuminated by late afternoon sunshine. There must have been a rainbow, but I couldn't find it.


And the flowers are big and beautiful. I had never seen such big flowers until I moved to the Northwest.


 Have a colorful day



2 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Gosh, what a difference changing the orientation of that piece makes. I think I agree that it works much better that way.

Dave looks dwarfed by that quilt he is helping to hang!

As for the big flowers out here - we like to say EVERYTHING is bigger out here in the PNW. ;-)

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I love both quilts! You do an amazing job, even if it doesn't come out the way you envisioned! Glad you decided to give "Morning Light" another audition.
And I do envy you the flowers... we have the sunshine and blue skies, but your flowers are truly amazing!