Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

It's finally ready for quilting!


My latest wool applique work is FINALLY ready for quilting, about 14 months after I started it. Working with the bright colors served the purpose of getting me through the long, dark winter.

I decided to border it with my new favorite commercial print, Moda's Grunge Hits the Spot. I tried blue and orange and decided that the blue jumped out too much. Plus, I guess I'm just a warm-color person. The combo of hot pink and orange/yellow is just so yummy! It reminds me of sunrises, sunsets, and summer watermelon and cantaloupe.

The pink backgrounds are also Grunge prints, but without the dots.

I didn't like the blue borders so I ripped them out and used orange. Much happier.

Instead of machine quilting it, I decided to hand quilt with pearl cotton #12, which is fairly thin. I bought both pink and orange ...


... and tried it with two types of needles, Mary Arden's chenille #26 and John James' embroidery #7. Both needles worked fine, but I chose the embroidery because it's a bit longer. 


I decided to go with a simple random seed stitch in the block backgrounds -- mindless and meditative. Not sure yet how I'll do the borders. 


And here's another block:


Have a colorful day


5 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Beautiful, Sherrie! And I agree, warm colors - especially pink and orange - are perfect together! Your blocks are just amazing... such wonderful embroidery and embellishments!

Shirlee Fassell said...

Fabulous! Love your border choice.

Wendy said...

it's beautiful!!

Sherrie Spangler said...

Thanks, everyone! As I said in an earlier post, Blogger no longer sends your comments to my email, so I can't acknowledge them personally like I used to. But know that I LOVE your comments and am so glad you stopped by my blog.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Oh Sherrie! I would not have thought to audition orange for borders but it really works! This will be another one of your happy colorful quilts. :-)