Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Sunday, August 5, 2018

Bunnies, birds, quilts and kayakers


It's time for a bunny update! 

My daughter sent these photos of the bunnies, and they're too cute not to share. Charlie is sporting the jaunty straw hat and Bunners reclines on a couch that Julia made for her. Bunners is going to be 12 years old this year, and I think the soft cushion must feel very good on her old bony body, which was more padded in her younger years.


Here are Charlie and Bailey resting on Julia's new couch.



I've had parakeets almost all of my life, and the two I have now, Hank and Janis, are really enjoying our nice summer weather. They've spent most of this weekend on the back patio off of my sewing room while I stitch in the lounge chair next to them. It's hard to photograph them through the bars, but they're preening themselves.


When I get tired of hand stitching outside, I come inside and work on the machine quilting for my "This Is Me" quilt. 


I'm spending a lot of time stitching because my hubby just left for nine days of expedition sea kayaking in Alaska. Here are some of his paddling partners getting their gear ready this morning before launching. They'll camp on islands and play in the waves and currents. It's Dave's ninth year of doing this. Everything they'll need for that time has to fit in the hatches of these skinny kayaks.


Here is Dave, ready to go! He started growing the beard about a week ago to help guard against sunburn and also because there's hardly any point in shaving when you're off in the wilderness.


UPDATE: Since I posted this blog, I got a text from Dave with the picture below. One of the other guys crashed and broke off his bow! Now they're making emergency repairs. This may be the last time they have cell phone service for the next week, so I hope things go better from here on out. I think they have a satellite radio in case of a real emergency. (For me that would be if the ice cream melted and I needed a new tub helicoptered in. That's why he doesn't take me on these trips.)

UPDATE ON THE UPDATE: They repaired the boat with duct tape! They didn't recover the hull, so they just taped across the gaping hole. Somehow it made it through the rest of the trip.



Today's breakfast started the day off
with a nice shot of color:


Have a colorful day


3 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Love the bunny pix! And I hope you enjoy your stitch-a-thon, you should get a lot done in 10 days! Wow, that kayak did not look like it could be easily salvaged... hope they can get it done in time to enjoy their journey. Laughed at your "emergency" situation... oh no, the ice cream melted! Yeah, looks like this is a "guy" trip, and you're much better off home with a working fridge and plenty of stitching nearby. I didn't know you kept parakeets... my I prefer my birds outside where they can enjoy the trees I planted for them, and partake in the seed and water I provide. They repay me with beautiful songs, and the enjoyment of watching them.

Robbie said...

Thanks for sharing the bunny pictures! They are adorable!!!! My Gracie (blue front Amazon) love sitting outside on her playpen. she was so old and couldn't fly away so she would just sit on her perch. I'd give her a bath outside as well. I do miss her...and I can see why you would enjoy watching your little birds and just having them for company. Keep us posted on your hubby and his 'trek'! WOW

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I had a friend that had a pet bunny. It was the first I ever heard of having a pet bunny. He had a run of the house and I thought he was wonderful. I used to have a parakeet, but now I have an aversion to keeping a bird in a cage...but that's just me. I have nothing against anyone who does. I loved my bird Ralphie and had great fun with him.

My grandson kayaks. Luckily the St. Joseph River runs through our area with several large contributing creeks so he doesn't have far to go to enjoy the sport. I'm pretty sure he would love the trip your husband is on. I'm so with you on staying away from that trip.
xx, Carol