Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Sewing and cooking


I mentioned in my last Woolies post that Pam let us use her needle case patterns for new projects. I made a Christmas one with red and green wool and a snowflake/scissors fabric inside. Here's the front (above) and the inside.


The pattern uses a tab with snaps to secure the scissors, but I used a strip of ribbon for tying the scissors in because it was easier.


Here's the pattern:


In other sewing news, I'm still working on my Fresh Cut wool blocks. I've whip stitched the appliqués down in this block, and now I'm adding embroidery and beads. 


I used French knots to attach the rickrack.


And in kitchen news, I'm starting the Thanksgiving side dishes. These roasted sweet potatoes will soon be in the traditional casserole. 

I've been hosting almost every year for 20 years! Thankfully, Dave does the bird and gravy, guests bring side dishes, appetizers or desserts, and I fill in with anything else that's needed. This year I'm making the dressing, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, mulled cranberry-apple cider and pumpkin and chocolate pecan pies. And Dave is also making Oysters Rockefeller for an appetizer, since we do live in the land of shellfish.


It's supposed to rain on Thanksgiving, but today is sunny and crisp -- a perfect fall day. I should take a walk later in preparation for all the calories I'll consume on Thursday.


Have a colorful day

2 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Lovely felt work! Yikes, you must have a crowd coming to your house for dinner... lots of goodies to consume! Hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving...

Lynda said...

Love, love, love all of the woolie work! Those sweet potatoes sure look good. Happy Thanksgiving!