Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Saturday, April 13, 2019

Snippets



My favorite perfectly broken in denim shirt has a hole under the back yoke, so I decided to patch it boro style. It's my first try at this type of Japanese mending. I did a blog post on boro here:  japanese-boro-jackets-in-shibori-dragon.html

Then I baked a chocolate wacky cake, which doesn't have eggs or butter and is mixed right in the baking pan. Google "wacky cake" and you'll find recipes. I added extra cocoa powder and mixed instant espresso powder in with the water. This is a cake to make me feel good this weekend, because of ...


... how this sign that was posted at the Y yesterday spoke to me:


Our yoga teacher also left us with this quote:

"A flower does not think of
competing with the flower
next to it.
It just blooms."

Our rhodies started blooming!


Have a colorful day


4 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Love your boro stitching! Maybe the beginning of some stitch meditations? The cake sounds lethally delicious... enjoy every morsel, you deserve it! And the sign and yoga quote are definitely indicators... both essential truths, I'm thinking!
Lovely Rhodies... hope they last a long time so you can continue enjoying them.

Robbie said...

Looks like you are coming along just fine! Thee will be tough days and good days but as long as you have your buds and that wonderful cake!!! you'll do just great! Boro stitching fits so well for so many different situations!!! This is a cool look for your shirt!

Julia said...

You’re doing great, Mom! I can’t wait to see you next month. I’ll make a cake for us!

Rachel Desertspring said...

Yay you’re making the wacky cake! Love the idea of coffee in the water. Wishing you a lovely spring Sherrie 💝