Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Thursday, December 22, 2022

Winter solstice lights


Last night for the Winter Solstice I surrounded myself with lights at the Tucson Botanical Gardens!


More than a million lights and hundreds -- maybe thousands -- of luminarias turned the longest night of the year magical.

Mexican tin star lights are popular in Tucson. The tin is punched to let light shine out. 




The blue "dancing" trees were synched to music from The Nutcracker. Magical!

Foam cups protect the cactus tips from frost, and the Santa hat makes it fun. A lot of yards in Tucson have Santa hats on their cactus tops.



As I strolled through the gardens in comfortable temperatures under a clear starry night, I thought of those of you facing the big winter storm that's rolling across the country. I hope you stay safe and warm!


Have a colorful night


2 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Wearing my chin to ankle Wisconsin down coat to walk to the mailbox the last couple of days. Barely above zero today and windchills in ridiculous minus numbers. Makes me feel like I'm back in Wisconsin! Have ditched the daily walks past the mailbox until it warms up next week.

Glad to see you enjoying this Christmas light show. If you had made it to Spokane as planned, I'm sure your daughter would have suggested a drive or walk through the light show at Manito Park. Hope she is over the worst of the flu by now.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Wow, what a beautiful light show! Thank you for sharing it, and I'm so glad you're down there and not back where you were!

I too hope your daughter is past the worst of the flu and on her way to feeling herself in time for Christmas.