Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Sunday, April 2, 2023

Glorious spring in the desert!


The desert flowers keep getting better and better! This past week I was in awe of them on some desert hikes, a garden tour, and just in my neighborhood. The pink Parry's penstemons in my neighbor's yard, above and below, went crazy this year, wrapping around the front and side of her house.





I picked up this awesome photo on Facebook showing wildflowers in the desert near Phoenix, which is about two hours north of me. 


Here are some photos from my desert -- lots of penstemons, poppies, purple lupine, yellow desert marigolds and creosote flowers, white daisy-like flowers and yellow barrel cactus fruit.









These next few are from neighborhood walks. 


Yellow cassia bush


Barrel cactuses with yellow fruit and purple lantana



Lizard on a mesquite tree



Green palo verde tree bark

This next batch is from yesterday's garden tour, which was put on by the Pima County Master Gardeners.


This huge organ pipe cactus was on the first stop, and around the back was a crested organ pipe. Crested, or "cristate," cactuses are ones that grow into convoluted, swirling shapes and are very rare.




The same house, whose garden has been established for decades, has the date palm (above) and an enormous Joshua tree (below).




The white lady banks rose bush, below, was another enormous plant in a subdivision garden that has been in the care of the same homeowner for 32 years. The big cactuses above were also in his yard.



These two outdoor seating areas are from two gardens on the tour. There were a lot of water features, comfy chairs, and color! I want to get a small water fountain for my back patio because water sounds are so relaxing.



These next two are potted plants in my little front courtyard. They've gone gangbusters this year!


Above is my coral fountain and below are the geraniums that I nursed through the hot summer and covered during winter frosts. That's about the extent of my gardening capabilities.


Have a colorful day

3 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Wow, such beauty! Thank you so much for sharing these - I miss having flowers in my garden and in the surrounding area (had lots in CA, but different climate, lol!). I'm glad you are able to enjoy all the places where the colors are so stunning!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Those geraniums are gorgeous! and I too have thought of a small fountain for my deck, but since I wouldn't be running it all the time, I have to be concerned with the standing water drawing mosquitos and the possible diseases they carry. But I am definitely craving the sound of running water!

All those beautiful flowers in the desert - makes it worthwhile to live through the hotter drier parts of the year. That crested cactus is so interesting along with the closeup of the palo verde tree bark. Thanks for sharing!

Lynda Heines said...

So beautiful! Great to see all of that color.