Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Wednesday, November 29, 2023

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!


I love Christmas -- the lights, decorations, cards, gifts, cookies, music and gathering with loved ones. And THE COLOR!

Even the T. rex in front of McDonald's in Tucson is getting into the spirit.

I'm one of those people who actually loves to write a holiday newsletter and add handwritten notes in each one -- all 70 this year, down from 100 in some years. I've moved around so much that I have friends and family all over the country, and I always look forward to catching up with them through holiday cards. I display them all over the house and truly treasure them.

I bought the cactus cards months ago when I saw them at a local gift shop, and this year I bought snow globe and piƱata stamps.

Since I moved away from December's rain and snow, I've been decorating my yuccas with ornaments without having to worry about them getting ruined by bad weather.

My neighbors REALLY got into outdoor decorating this year. They used a cherry picker yesterday to raise a worker high, high, high and wind lights around some very tall trees. For perspective, those are the tops of big RV trailers that are dwarfed by the trees! This was the site that greeted me when I went out before sunrise to take out the garbage this morning. (We can't put it out the night before because the javelinas might get into it.)


I'm almost done making/buying and wrapping gifts, most of which I have to box up and send far and wide. Because most of my gifts get mailed, I have to get a jump on them. I can't wait until the week before Christmas to do my shopping.



 My rotary cutter is perfect for cutting wrapping paper (I use a separate one just for paper). The wrapping and ribbons are sharing space with this pile of fabric that's being turned into a special gift.


I put my skinny tree up last weekend and it really brightens up the corner. I don't have room for a fuller tree.


I decorate it mainly with homemade ornaments that each carry a special memory.


I also collect ornaments with the string that you can pull to move the arms and legs. I've had the little girl below since I was young, but I pulled the cord so many times over the decades that it finally broke.


And candles! Candles everywhere, battery operated so I don't have to worry about fires.

After I get the letters all written and the packages in the mail I can turn to baking. That's the dangerous part! I hope all of you are enjoying yourselves in whatever way you prepare for the holidays.


Have a colorful day

4 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Beautiful! You always put me in the Christmas mood with your lovely decorations!

Robbie said...

I am sure your home looks so festive! That's based on what I see in your post! How lovely!!! And all those gifts! Hope you mailed mine early! HA HA HA

The Idaho Beauty said...

I always look forward to receiving your card and letter each year and sending out my own as I too have friends and family scattered all over the country, some of whom I only have contact with this time of year. I love those tall trees being lighted up - bravo to your neighbors! and your skinny tree and all those ornaments - just beautiful! I especially like the little bunny. Thanks for sharing.

Lynda Heines said...

Wow! Your house and surroundings look so festive. I need to get our little tree up too!! As Judy said, it puts me in the mood with all of your decorations!!