Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Friday, April 26, 2024

Just a little blue

I was digging through my cedar chest looking for something else when I came across this embroidered dress that I bought in Mexico around 1980. I had totally forgotten about it, but I used to wear it a lot back then in my 20s when I lived right on the Mexican border in El Paso. I didn't think it would still fit, but I managed to get it on and it looks pretty good! Of course, it's a little tighter now. In my 20s it fit like a loose knee-length caftan, but 44 years later it's more like a fitted sheath.



The embroidery is all done by hand, and the back is as heavily embroidered as the front. It's a cool cotton, so now that I'm living near the Mexican border again I think I'll wear it when it heats up this summer.

That ties into this quote, which qualifies for this post because the background is blue.


I also just finished two blue spirit dolls made from my hand painted and stamped fabric. I'm still debating what to name them, but I think it will have something to do with dreams.



I came across this blue bike yesterday at the Tucson Botanical Gardens. It's planted with succulents!



My sunglasses that I wore there were blue and so was the sky.


Speaking of plants, I bought the most beautiful deep blue hydrangea at Trader Joe's about a week ago. I don't have much of a green thumb, but I'll see how long I can keep it going in the house. (It would die in a day if I put it outside in our desert sun. It's already been up into the 90s.)


Have a colorful day

4 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Just love that dress and all the blue photos it inspired. I'd love to have something blooming in the house, have a spot where I haven't replaced the last plant (non-blooming) that died. Spotted some small blooming plants in the floral dept of my store today and was surprised that they were azaleas. I've lived one place that had an azalea bush that did quite well and I loved it. It was tempting but I decided to pass for now until I can do a little research.

sonja said...

oh my, all those blue notes made me happy i opened up the computer tonight!!!
Bright moments, bright blue moments!!!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I hope your Hydrangea does well - one of my alltime favorite blooms! And your Spirit dolls are lovely in blues! As for the dress, I hope you get lots more use from it - perfect for summer!

Lynda Heines said...

Love that dress. So glad it still fits and so cool for summer. Love your spirit dolls and the Hydrangea is beautiful. I love the ones we planted a couple years ago in the front of the house where several plants died."See you" next week!