Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Friday, April 22, 2011

Seeking crazy quilt info


My friend recently found this vibrant unfinished crazy quilt in her mother-in-law's cedar chest. I love the bright, cheerful colors so much that I asked if I could put it on the blog, so here it is!



Here's a close look at the hand embroidery that covers every seam. Below is a shot of the back.


If anyone out there can help us determine the era and value of this quilt, which is in excellent condition, we'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment here or e-mail me at sherriequilt@yahoo.com.


Thanks and have a colorful day!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Most of these fabrics seem to be late 1950s and early 1960s. The colors make it seem more like later 1960s, in the brightness. Value? That's a question. Check out eBay, but given the youth, these don't go for a whole heck of a lot, particularly when unfinished. My guess? Here (OH) it would be $75 or less.

Lisa Quintana

The Idaho Beauty said...

I concur. Hard to tell from the pic but some of those fabrics look like they might even be polyesters. It might be worth more if the hand embroidery were more elaborate, but probably not much. It sure is bright and cheerful though! A wonderful family find.

Unknown said...

I'm looking for a quilt just like this! I've had mine since I was 5 years old and I'm 24 now. It's had a lot of love from me as well as my 3 year old. My great grandmother made it for my mother. She passed a few years back and I'm not crafty at all. I'm looking to purchase a hand made quilt like this. I love how it's crazy and colorful! Absolutely beautiful. Priceless is what I think these kinds of quilts are!