Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Kindness Chronicles



Bunners -- inspiring kindness and fun.

Earlier this year, California artist Jane LaFazio added a feature to her wonderful art blog, http://janeville.blogspot.com/ , called "The Kindness Chronicles." She invited other bloggers to post something about kindness the first Sunday of every month. Here is Jane's post for November:

http://janeville.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-kindness-chronicles.html

Although I signed up right away to take part, I've been sorely negligent about posting. So starting this month, I'm going to post quotes that have inspired me in my quest to be kind.

"Beauty is easy to find
if you look through kind eyes."
            
My scribbled note says this is Darcy from Still House by Jan Watson. I haven't read the book and don't remember where I came across the quote, but it works for me. I hung it by my computer to remind me that when I start thinking critically of someone, I should look for something good in them. I fell into a pattern of criticism this past week (just ask my husband, who had to listen to me vent), and now I'm going to just STOP and think kind thoughts of those I had criticized.

My neighbor Dick -- kindness with a capital K.


"Such as are your habitual thoughts,
such also will be the character
of your mind;
for the soul is dyed by the thoughts."
                                                          
                                   -- Marcus Aurelius

This was one of the daily happiness quotes from Gretchen Rubin at The Happiness Project,  http://happiness-project.com/ She posted it last week, just in time to stop me from further wallowing in those negative thoughts that were starting to color my soul an ugly color.

I googled Marcus Aurelius quotes and this link popped up, full of other inspirational advice: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/marcus_aurelius.html

Well, I'd better stop before I start sounding preachy. Time to get back to the studio and dive into pretty colored fabric!

Dancing in the snow.
Winter sunset in San Diego County.


Have a colorful day


3 comments:

Jane LaFazio said...

glad you've joined the kindness chronicles, Sherrie! xoxoxo

Judy Ferguson said...

We had a sermon on forgiveness and moving away from hurts this Sunday. It was quite interesting, as bitterness destroys you, but forgiveness restores you.

Sherrie Spangler said...

Judy -- I agree. It's a lesson I have to remind myself of when I'd rather be critical. It's like eating junk food -- it tastes good at the time but in the long run is terrible for you.