Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Monday, January 28, 2013

I'm back!

Adding embroidery to the fused shapes.

My mandala and I are back from Los Angeles, where I found a lot of nature's colors and shapes that reminded me of the mandala.

Bird of Paradise plant on an L.A. sidewalk.

Beautiful green leaves along an ocean cliff.
I also immersed myself in two art quilt exhibits. I couldn't take photos in either, but here is a little tease. Above, I'm at the entrance to "Quilt Visions 2012: Brainstorms" at the Visions Art Museum in San Diego with Del Thomas. Del is a blogging friend who I finally met in person at the gallery, which just happens to be named after her. You can see the little sign way above us that says The Del Thomas Gallery. For more information, check out the web site at  http://www.quiltvisions.org/

Del gave me a fabulous tour in which she "introduced" me to each quilt, giving me just enough information about each quilt and artist to whet my appetite for closer examination. I bought the beautifully photographed book of the exhibit (and of the 2010 and 2008 exhibits) and savored the show all over again that night in bed. 



Farther up the coast on the Palos Verdes Peninsula, the Palos Verdes Art Center is offering three large galleries of contemporary fiber art in this exhibit, "Fiber Forward: Contemporary Practices in Textile Art." The art center's old building is under renovation, so it is temporarily housed at the Promenade On The Peninsula Shopping Center in Rolling Hills Estates, CA.

For a good description of the exhibit, click here: http://pvartcenter.org/exhibitions/currentexhibitions.htm 

Have a colorful day

5 comments:

Ladybug said...

Welcome home! Looks like you got a good dose of color AND art. Now, we'll get to see how the mandala progresses...

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Thanks for sharing your trip! The bird of paradise is a favorite of mine... had one when we lived in South Pasadena, and I took several shots of it over the years. Your mandala is coming along nicely! And the exhibits sound lovely...

ellen gets crafty said...

I hope you enjoyed your visit to San Diego - Quilt Visions is always a special treat.

Julia said...

You have 100 followers now!

Marti said...

When I want a beautiful dose of color I always know where to come. Thanks Sherrie!