Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

White balance and photos


I'm taking a digital photography class at the local community college, and our first assignment is to play around with the white balance settings on our cameras. I've never liked learning anything technical, so I've always just used the auto setting and been happy, but now I'm going to have to face the buttons and dials and modes and all that scary stuff that I can screw up.


I've been working on these strip-pieced blocks and thought I'd photograph them under different white balance settings -- sunny, cloudy, fluorescent, incandescent, etc. I've never been able to get accurate colors in my quilt photos unless I take them outside on a sunny day and use the auto setting, so maybe this will help me get better color indoors.


So far, none of these accurately portray the colors, but this one comes closest:




We're also supposed to shoot from different angles, so I did my favorite side-angle shot. 


I'm doing the blocks for my STITCH art quilt group's monthly "creativity prompt." The person hosting the next month's meeting gets to issue a prompt, like a certain color, and then we each make something inspired by that. I decided to do a few strip-pieced blocks based on each prompt and then put them together at the end of the year. 
 

The prompt for this month is "backyard." I took photos in the backyard last week and realized that the colors lean heavily toward green and yellow, so I used those colors in the latest three blocks.


Have a colorful day

3 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

I'm with ya on this Sherrie. Have thought to take a class but those offered locally so far require a camera with interchangeable lenses. Bah! Have never been afraid to turn the dials on the camera, but then don't know enough else to utilize those manual settings. I hope your class addresses the added frustration of monitor settings. Couldn't figure out what had changed but suddenly my quilt pics had a totally different color in my software program than windows. Finally tracked it to a mismatch between monitor and software. I thought this digital stuff was supposed to be easier! ;-)

Judy Ferguson said...

I have been lost ever since I had to put my SLR Nikon film camera with all the great lenses. I took a class on using the manual settings and got some great pictures. Now, I do everything on my Windows Live Picture program editing. Life is just too short.

Julia said...

I really like the gold and green you're using! Kind of '70s, haha. Maybe you can teach me how to use my camera! I only know how to use auto and the instructions are so confusing. I've been waiting for REI to have another free photography class, but who knows when that'll be.