Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Color to the rescue

 

I needed a big shot of color today because rain poured, wind howled, and sky and bay were gray. I also needed to finish some quilt projects that have been hanging around too long, so I spent the day in the studio (finally) surrounded by bright colors.

View from our back deck early this afternoon.
First, I put the binding on this batik jelly roll quilt. It's been so long since I've done a traditional binding that I accidentally sewed it on backwards and didn't realize it until I was almost done. Instead of ripping it out (something else I rarely do), I just wrapped it to the front and held it down with a quick zigzag. I like it!


Our gutters were gushing, forming this little lake by the front porch, which segues into the next quilt I finished ...


 "House On the Water"


I started this one YEARS ago and was never happy with it, but now that I've pulled it out again I do like it. The only thing I added was some gold with this Krylon gold leaf pen:


It has a lot of hand embroidery, and I painted every inch of the fabric other than the gold mesh. I used layers of silk organza to create more depth. A lot of roofs out here in the Northwest are green from moss (or lichen? anyone know for sure?) where the sun never shines.


For some reason I didn't put a backing on it before I did the quilting -- maybe I was thinking I would wrap it around stretcher bars? So I did a pillowcase backing and slapped a label over the hole where I turned it right side out. Done! And now I feel a lot better.
 

I just linked this to Nina Marie's Off-the-Wall Fridays, where you can see what's been going on this week in other fiber artists' studios:  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-november-blues-off-wall-friday.html

Have a colorful day

12 comments:

Living to work - working to live said...

I love that little house quilt - and the view from your window. I think I would like your part of the world.

Anonymous said...

lovely colours\!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Nice! And I just realized... it's only about 4 months until you come down for a visit, right? Is it too soon to start planning our get together? I think we will need to get down to Prescott.. there is a great quilt store there full of fabulous colors! Just sayin'...

Judy Ferguson said...

A real charmer. It pays to revisit our older work. I am currently doing an update on something too.

Sylvia said...

Love the colors! I love the view that you have, very peaceful.

Regina B Dunn said...

I absolutely LOVE House on the Water. Wonderful piece.

Unknown said...

I love your colors. Bright, cheery and bound to make you smile!

Unknown said...

I love your colors. Bright, cheery and bound to make you smile!

Quilt Rat said...

Vibrant and fun! We had a very grey day that started with just a wee bit of snow.....love seeing your splash of color!!!

HollyM said...

Love the colourful little house quilt! It's funny, I do the same thing, put something away that I'm stuck on or dislike and then find it and like it.
You have a wonderful view!

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

I like the colors and interesting shapes of the house quilt...and then up close, the embroidery adds lots of interest!

Linda M said...

House on the Water is a very cool little quilt, love the colors and stitching.