Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

A Northwest fall walk


Today I'll take you on a walk in my neighborhood so you can see what fall is like out here in the Pacific Northwest. We have some red and orange leaves, but mostly (at least in my neighborhood) it's tall evergreens, moss and ferns.



Fallen leaves are usually wet and matted -- not like the piles of dry, crunchy brilliant fall leaves blowing around back East.








One side of our house is woods and the other is water. The tide was up to the bulkheads, so I can't take you out on the beach. It's a rocky, pebbly beach -- no soft white sand.


The sun played hide and seek. Here it's covered by piles of gray clouds, which don't seem to bother the heron keeping watch on a floating dock.


Inside, my wool birds are coming along. Here's a spiky little guy getting a rosette chain stitch along his collar. I'm using pearl cotton by Artfabrik.com in the Degas Blue colorway. Laura Wasilowski, who is Artfabrik, lives back in Illinois where I lived before I moved here. I highly recommend her hand-dyed threads.



 
Have a colorful fall day




1 comment:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Beautiful pictures! I love all the trees and vegetation... so woodsy. And your bird with the embellishments is lovely!