Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

The birds are back!


Over the holiday weekend I put the final embroidery and beads onto my 30 wool birds and arranged them -- and rearranged a few times -- on the design board.


I gave them all either blue or brown eyes and made sure they all had feet.



Now I just have to square them up, sew them together (which will be a challenge because some of the beading comes too close to the edges) and add borders. The borders will require a trip to the Quilted Strait in Port Gamble to buy larger pieces of wool. It's an hour drive, but at least it's not on the hell hole that is I-5.

I think this will be the final arrangement. It's not the same as that in Sue Spargo's bird book. Hers is a vertical arrangement.



Have a colorful day

6 comments:

Penny said...

They look stunning.

Robbie said...

Sherrie, this is going to be a great piece of work!!! Love your workmanship on the birds too!!! nicely done!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Goodness, these have turned out really well. I was not too fond of them when you first started working on them, but your embroidery and beading have made them quite beautiful.

sonja said...

Well well well, your feltie birds are looking fine in your arrangement.
makes me think of the birds i have seen in totems!
Shine on Sherrie! Aloha,Sonja

Lynda said...

Sherrie,

OMG! I love them! They are going to look great together. Thanks for this morning's inspiration.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Fabulous! Each one a work of art on its own, but what a feast for the eyes as a flock! You done good, girl!