Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Monday, July 10, 2017

Sew Day color



Yesterday was Sew Day at my house, and with light pouring in through the windows we gathered for a portrait. Hubby was trying to get away, but I made him stay to take a few pictures of us.


Our hydrangeas bloomed just in time for me to pick a little bouquet. Berry (and cherry) season is in full swing here in the Northwest, so breakfast had to include some berries. We also had overnight blueberry French toast casserole, which I forgot to take a picture of but trust me it looked impressive. It puffed way up into a mountain of calories.


Then we had show and tell. First up was Carolynn with a gorgeous horse quilt that's she's giving to a cowgirl friend. Her swirly quilting perfectly reflected the swirls in the horse.


Then Linda J. brought out some canvas that she had painted, stamped, rubbed with oil sticks and otherwise embellished. She even made a cute little bag with some of it. Now I'm inspired to get out the paints, which have been languishing on the shelves for too many years.


After show and tell, we moved onto the back deck for some hand stitching in the shade of the big umbrella. It gets blazing hot on the deck (which faces south), so we huddled in the shade until the sun moved and chased us back inside.


I finally finished the echo quilting on my wool appliqué flowers (above), and I sewed the binding on yesterday. Below, Linda P. and Nancy work on more wool appliqué.



Then we moved onto the next round of eating: curried chicken salad, Greek pasta salad, watermelon, brownies and lemon squares! It was a good day.


Have a colorful day

3 comments:

Robbie said...

Love the quilt behind your group pic! And the horse quilt is outstanding...love the painted pieces and hand work! Nicely done...Food doesn't look so bad either!!!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Sounds like a nice day for you all... I think I gained a pound just reading about your menu! And yes, you need to get those paints out and play!

Janice Smith said...

What a fun day you all had. :-() I,too, love the colorful quilt hanging behind the group photo, and each of the projects was wonderful.