Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Making small art

 

The gallery where I show my spirit dolls is having an exhibit of small art no more than 80 square inches. That has spurred me to make some small textile collages to wrap around 8x10-inch stretched canvases.

Here are the first two, which I still have to stretch  over the frames.

I pulled out my painted silks and sheers, glitz and glimmer, beads and embroidery threads.

I ordered a package of MistyFuse to fuse the sheers over one another.

I did some big stitches with two strands of embroidery floss and sewed on a lot of gold beads.


I love to leave long gold thread tails that shimmer in the light. I've been doing that on my quilts for well over 20 years.


I have mixed feelings about the "face" on this piece. I think of it as Monsoon Man, blowing wind and rain across the desert during our summer monsoon season. But I'm not sure how viewers will see it.

And speaking of the monsoon, our skies have been filled with big clouds promising rain, but not much has fallen in my neighborhood. This is the view from my street yesterday morning.


Have a colorful day


2 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

I like the idea of these small pieces to be stretched over canvas. My first thought upon seeing the face was how it isn't unlike the feel of your spirit dolls and native Indian dancers and such you've added to older quilts. I think it looks very southwest, reminiscent of kachina dolls. Maybe a local would get the monsoon theme and you could help that along with the title.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I love that you are creating these small pieces! Little jewels that hopefully will grace many walls over time! As for the monsoons, we're getting good rains up here - it's still early in the season, so hopefully you won't have to wait too long before they come to your end of the state too!