Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Saturday, October 21, 2023

Earth, Wind and Fire spirit dolls

I made three more spirit dolls this week to take up to the gallery. I picked out fabric that I liked and then realized that they could represent earth, wind and fire, like the music group!

I made the blue wind fabric many years ago by painting white fabric with pearlescent blue fabric paint and then stenciling the swirls with darker blue paint. The fire fabric was dyed by a friend, also many years ago. And the green earth fabric is just a commercial print, but I added some gold mesh scraps.

The twigs also came from friends. There's a dearth of good strong, straight twigs in my yard and in the desert, so three different friends -- from Flagstaff, Indiana and Washington, have given me bundles of sticks that are better than what I can find here.

Here are the buttons I chose for the faces, with beads for eyes.


The silky, curly hair on the fire doll is dyed Angora goat hair that I've had in my stash for ages. I think I got it at the Taos Wool Festival more than 15 years ago.


I also saw an excellent Japanese film called "Perfect Days" this week at the Loft Film Festival in Tucson. According to the sign, it's been named "one of Moviemaker Magazine's 25 coolest film festivals in the world"! I had never been there before, but the venue was very nice and the balmy fall weather allowed for people to be eating, drinking and socializing outside before the movie. Here's a review: Perfect_Days

Have a colorful day


1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Oh my - Elvira Mistress of the Dark! Years ago we'd watch questionable late night B movies introduced by her and she was such a kick! The movies were often so bad that it was their badness that gave you an entertaining laugh, as did she.

As for your spirit dolls, I think we all are digging deep into our stashes, resurrecting bits we've had for years and are finally finding their place in the light! These are lovely.