Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Sunday, October 15, 2023

Eclipse and hiking



I forgot to buy eclipse glasses for yesterday morning's eclipse, but I got to watch it through the crescent shaped shadows that it cast on my patio. As the moon moved in front of the sun, the crescent of light from the sun cast these shadows through the leaves.


I played with the shadow of my dancing yard art lady and the crescent shadows. It looks like she's celebrating the celestial event. It also got noticeably cooler, breezier and darker at the peak, and the crows started calling.






Toward the end of the eclipse I went to a plant sale at Tohono Chul Park (where I bought the Blue Atoll above) and they were passing out free eclipse viewers, so I DID get to look directly at it. It showed a fiery orange crescent of sun to the side of the black circle of moon.


But today there was no moon in front of the sun as I went on my first hike since spring. (It was too hot all summer to hike.) Catalina State Park was glorious as always, with its green mountain slopes and tall saguaros. It felt great to be back hiking.



The sky was impossibly blue and the saguaros were green and healthy.



Have a colorful day


1 comment:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Great shots of the shadows! I like the dancing lady with the crescents... maybe some inspiration for a quilt? Glad to hear you are able to get back to hiking. Enjoy!