Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Sunday, March 17, 2024

Desert art at the festival

I found some colorful desert art and met the makers today at a big art festival in Oro Valley under the Catalina Mountains. It was a lovely, relaxed way to spend a few hours. And I just realized that it's St. Patrick's Day and I forgot to wear green!

Stephanie Daniels' art was the first to catch my eye because she painted plants from the various life zones in Tucson, from the desert floor to the top of Mt. Lemmon. I love her happy, colorful style. I bought a framed print of the desert zone, because that's my favorite zone and the one I live in. It's already hanging on a wall!

She was fun to talk with because she also hikes (like me) and leads art hikes where there's a break for hikers to paint, draw, take photos, write, read, etc. I think it's a great idea! And her blog (on her website below) has entries about her hikes. Here's her card:



______________________________


Then I found Mary Spencer's desert art, colorful and whimsical. I bought a hummingbird mouse pad that will make me smile every time I use it. It replaces the mouse pad I've used for 20 years that's a replica of the rug in Freud's office that always reminded me that I might be a little crazy. Time to ditch that one.


I also bought these two 5x7 cards from her that I'll frame:



My final purchase was this very cool pair of earrings made from strips of old sari cloth wound around a hollow wooden ring. I've never seen anything like this before and I love it! And the colors coordinate with my other purchases, so it was meant to be.


And here's what I made this past week -- two more spirit dolls for the gallery:





Have a colorful day

2 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Wow, sounds like a lovely day and fun even to be at! Glad you found some pretties to bring home. And your new Spirit dolls are very cheery, just in time for Spring!

Lynda Heines said...

OMG! What beautiful art! So colorful and happy. Love those earrings too! And of course your spirit dolls. I long for the warm weather! Thanks for taking us along.