Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Color therapy

Notepad, pencil, wool and glittery thread from the Quilted Strait.

The pencil says, 

"Fabric can't solve everything ...
Wait! Yes! Yes, it can!"


I'm planning a new quilt for the new year, and these are some of the colors I have pulled. It's for my daughter, and she's given me a bright palette to work with. I picked up this package of pinks at the Quilted Strait in Port Gamble on Sunday ... because you can never have too many hot pinks and oranges.


This is the pattern: Baby Domiciles. Julia has asked for white backgrounds and bright, clear houses.


Here are some photos she sent me of her favorite colors. She said she didn't realize that they were all solid colors, but that she must be drawn to them because they are calmer than busy prints. But she did approve of the package of pink/orange prints. Yay!




So I pulled out some more from my stash, and this is what's going on now on my cutting table. I've mixed in a few pieces of raw silk in saturated colors to add a little movement. I love the way silk shimmers without being gaudy. I also added a few pieces that I painted and a bunny print because she has three bunnies.



When Sherry and I went to the Quilted Strait, the sun broke through the clouds and we had this beautiful view from our lunch table.


After lunch, we went back to the fabric store (it's a 50-minute drive so we had to make the most of it) and she found this sunshine panel with one of my favorite sayings. 


And speaking of shadows and the sun, did you see the lunar eclipse a few nights ago? I watched off and on for an hour.


Have a colorful day


4 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Love all those beautiful colors, especially the pink and orange... one of my fave combos! Can't wait to see all the cheery houses you make of those fabrics! And that saying is lovely...

Julia said...

I can’t wait! The colors you picked are perfect (I especially like that pink bunny print). When I have my pink couch, this will be what I hang over it 💕

Luann Fischer said...

I love the photo with all the ‘pulled fabrics’. I’ve not been a collector/curator of pinks until NOW ! ! ! Oh, my, another rabbit hole for this quilter, yeah !

Robbie said...

Looks like you are "keeping your face towards the sunshine"!!!! Keep those positive thoughts and all those beautiful fabrics will help keep you creative! Just beautiful!