Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Monday, February 18, 2019

Sew Day and other stuff


Let's start this post with some bright, cheery colors from Sew Day! Linda J. made the bowl, and I absolutely love it. Instead of stitching the coil that ended the basket, she used white tacky glue. I haven't made a bowl in a long time, but this has inspired me to make one in these colors.


Carolynn made this project bag for me for Christmas. She sewed one for each of us in our favorite colors. She knows I love hot pink, orange, warm yellow and turquoise, and this wonderful bag has it all -- and holds it all!

Carolynn also hosted, and she had this beautifully beaded table runner that she just got in Mexico, although it looks like it was made in India.


Can you think of anything more comforting for lunch on a chilly, grey February day than grilled cheese and tomato soup? Mmmm, mmmm.


But wait, there's still dessert! Chocolate dipped shortbread heart cookies and dark, rich brownies.


The table was set with this warm, red and cream table runner and matching napkins that Carolynn made, and her beautiful Valentine's Day roses.


Back home, I slumped in my chair at the kitchen counter because this is the stack of reading on my placemat. I mentioned earlier the heavy emotional burden I've been carrying since Christmas Eve, and now it's getting down to the scary legal part which makes it seem so final and which I never in a million years could have foreseen and I still don't want to go through with it.


My daughter sent me this next item for Valentine's Day along with some fun socks and chocolate scented soaps. Besides being incredibly thoughtful, she also has a wicked sense of humor and she's always there for me even though she lives hundreds of miles away.


In between the divorce books, I'm reading these ones on hiking in Sedona because before this "stuff" happened we had reserved the house in Sedona that we have gone to for years in March. I'm still going down and I hope the sunshine boosts my spirits.


 Have a colorful day


9 comments:

Gerrie said...

I am so glad you are getting away to Sedona. I hope it warms up for you and that you getting plenty of sunshine. ((((hugs))))

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Wow... this post is chock full of things to ponder and comment on! First off, I love Linda's bowl... you're right, the colors are perfect! And the project bag is wonderful, just right for your felt project! As for the stack of books, jeez... hopefully there will be some helpful info for you, but I'm glad you are also reading the hiking books. Maybe a trashy novel or two might be in order too, just for entertainment! I really hope we get to take a hike while you're down. I have been on a few trails, but I bet you know lots more, and it would be lovely to get to see you twice this year, to make up for no you last year! Counting the days... ;-)
P.S. We're due for 1-2 feet of snow later this week, so I'll really be ready for warmer temps when we get together!

Luann Fischer said...

Uninvited by Lisa Terkerst (spelling??) through Proverbs 31 This is the book that got me through betrayal and all the emotions that went with it, along with ‘time’. Take the time that you need to get through what you are going through. Just remember these words a dear friend said to me, When it feels like you’re going through hell, KEEP ON GOING!!!!!!
You are in my prayers,

Julia said...

I hope dad’s side hoe sees this post and the comments. She could probably benefit from those books too lol

The Idaho Beauty said...

Tacky glue to hold down that decorative ending on the basket, huh? I can attest that, regardless of the instructions in my book, hand sewing these is incredibly difficult. I've used my favorite fabric glue, Fabric Tack, and as far as I know, it's held fine. But it was a bit tricky to use. I love this basket.

And I'm guessing that's no ordinary out of the Campbell Soup can tomato soup you enjoyed with your grilled cheese. Absolutely one of the best combos!

Sherrie Spangler said...

Idaho Beauty, that's Costco tomato soup and it was delicious!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Well, I think you had the best of him and now she gets the part that becomes a grumpy old man that needs help putting his socks on. I hope she wll think his feet stink and make him struggle on his own.

Oh a trip to Sedona! I hope you can relax there and think about colorful things.

xx, Carol

Mcirishannie f/k/a quilt til you wilt said...

Sedona is beautiful in March and will help you in the healing process. Remember a door closed and another opens.

Sherrie Spangler said...

Thank you all for your comments -- they really do help me get through this. Some of you are "no reply" so I can't thank you individually, but know that I so appreciate that you took the time to write.