Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Saturday, March 16, 2019

National Quilting Day


It's National Quilting Day -- thank goodness for Facebook and Instagram telling me these things -- so I thought I'd show you how my quilting has taken over the rental house here in Sedona. The dining room table is my cutting station, the sewing machine is set up on a table squeezed in by the window, my wool applique covers the coffee table, and the ironing board is around the corner behind the couch.


This is what I've been working on. It's a wall quilt for my daughter to brighten up her new digs! She picked the palette and I loved working with those cheery colors. Below is the assembly line setup.


I've always loved house quilts, so I took the next two pictures on our field trip to Phoenix quilt shops.



I was up at 4 a.m. eating peanut m&ms because that emotional "thing" that I've written about hit me again. In between crying jags, I stuffed candy into my mouth. Then I heated up comfort food dinner leftovers, Kraft macaroni and cheese. I stayed up to watch the sunrise so that I'd at least have some pretty pictures out of it, but the colors never came over the mountains. Oh well, it's another day. It's sunny, and my sister is flying in this afternoon and she always makes me laugh.


Have a colorful day


5 comments:

Susan Sawatzky said...

thoughts winging your way

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Healing is like that... two steps forward, one back, cry, go fetal, eat, laugh, get angry... repeat. Sooner or later (hopefully), you get to go a day, two, maybe three with relative smooth sailing. Some day, you will start looking at what the future might hold, and you find some light and hope. Don't forget to scream once in awhile, even if it's into a pillow. My old fave is still writing about what I'm going through. Once in awhile reading what was written at any given time and seeing where you're at when you're reading what you wrote. You WILL get through this, and hopefully with a renewed outlook on your life and a direction you want to go. You are loved by many, so keep reaching out, okay? Hugs!

Robbie said...

Sister time will make you feel SO good! I know...I only get to see my sister a few times while we're here in Florida but those few hours are so special. And you just eat as many M&M's as you want! Enjoy the beautiful western land....

Luann Fischer said...

We all heal at our own speed. Think of it like driving a car, sometimes you can go Lickety Split down the highway, othertimes you MUST go very slow to not end up in a pothole. Wounds heal over time, and the heart usually takes the longest. Rest in the knowledge that there are people lifting you up in prayer, even if we’ve never met you, we understand the pain. Be as patient with yourself as you would be with a friend going through this season of adjustment. Surround yourself with loved ones, beautiful views, and comforting goodies.

Julia said...

❤️❤️❤️