Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Tuesday, January 4, 2022

First quilt and hike of 2022


But first, happy 90th Birthday to my mom!!!

She's chugging along, living with my dad and negotiating their three-level home with aplomb. She exercises, does puzzles, and delights in watching the birds outside. And her hair STILL isn't gray!



After neglecting my sewing for way too long, I made some quilted, embellished fabric this week to use in my spirit dolls. I started by painting the fabric, then I stamped it with bubblewrap and various other items. When it was dry I scattered bits of fancy fabric and yarn over top and quilted it with gold thread to batting and backing.



I use it for the clothes on my spirit dolls. Here are the two that I started yesterday.




My first hike was on New Year's Day in the foothills of Pusch Ridge in the Catalina Mountains. There was snow on the mountains!


It was an invigorating hike, with a lot of climbing up and down in the chilly but sunny weather. Today I'm heading out for another hike -- got to get this year started on the right foot!


Have a colorful day



5 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Your mom DOES look great - bodes well for YOU as you age.

That method of creating interesting fabric and then quilting it works really well for your spirit doll dresses. I'd say you're off to a good start.

Robbie said...

I envy you being able to hike!!!! It was -1 yesterday a.m. but in the teens this a.m. Even the dogs run out in the yard quickly and run back into the house! HA Enjoy the new year!!! Your mom is awesome!!

Del said...

Lovely fabrics you create, especially that gorgeous blue.
Glad you can hike in that open desert. I feel fortunate to be able to walk KoKo around the block with little pain now. Need to get back to PT exercises and develop some strength again. Be safe. Keep well. Love, Del and KoKo

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I love your fabrics, so colorful and fun! Just right for your Spirit dolls... best dressed Spirit dolls around, lol!
Happy New Year, and happy hiking - looks like you have the perfect weather for it down there so far!

sonja said...

Sherrie you sure had a productive and colorful year! glad you are in a beautiful spot and i love you sky sunset shots a lot! your folks are truly inspirational. thanks for sharing and for comments through our colorful blogs!
Stay well in 2022!!