Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Sunday, April 17, 2022

More spirit dolls



I got an unexpected package in the mail last week from a blogger friend, Lynda. It was a box of sticks from her yard in Indiana to use to make my spirit dolls! I had mentioned to her that one of the biggest problems in making the dolls was finding sticks in the desert, so she shared some of hers! I told her I would make any type of spirit doll she wanted as thanks, and she said anything Southwest. So I made the little doll shown above. Check out her blog for some great fabric ideas and lovely views of her garden.

__________________________________________


Now this next story is really amazing. In the early 1980s I worked at The El Paso Times and was good friends with a reporter named Pat. We kept in touch for years after we both moved on to other states, but at some point about 30 years ago we lost touch. I tried to find her online, but she has a very common name.

Then she found my blog recently, we reconnected and got caught up on each other's lives, and she ordered seven spirit dolls made with African fabric! (I just happened to have a large stash from when I used to go to the Houston quilt convention and buy fabric from international vendors.)

Since we lost touch, we have raised six kids between us, changed careers, got a divorce, and moved many times. I'm looking forward to staying connected the rest of our lives!


Pat's African dolls

_____________________________________________

I added these next two dolls to my blog shop, which you can get to by clicking on My little art for under $100 at the top of the blog. They're $30, which includes shipping.


"Dawn Spirit" evokes a beautiful new day's dawn and wears a protective hand charm. Hang her or prop her up where she can greet you in the morning and bring a smile to you.



"Night Guardian" brings the soft purple of a beautiful evening turning into a velvety night. Put her where you can see her as you turn out the lights for the night and have sweet dreams.


_________________________________________

Then I made some more dolls for
Absolutely Art Gallery & Gifts. These are a little larger than the ones in my blog shop and sell for $38 at the gallery. Of course, the gallery owner gets a nice percentage for her costs and she does a great job with display and publicity.


"Spring Spirit"

"Night Energy"


"Earth Mother"


"Sand Tracks II"

Detail from "Sand Tracks II"



Detail from "Night Energy"

Speaking of night energy, we had a spectacular sunset the other night. This is the view looking across the street from my front courtyard.


Have a colorful day


2 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I love, LOVE your dolls! They just keep getting better and better! And what a lovely gift to have reconnected with a friend from so long ago. I'm sure she will love the dolls you made for her.
Bless Lynda! She told me she was sending you some sticks... bet you find some more when you're up here, lol!

Lynda Heines said...

Love, Love, Love your spirit dolls, but love mine the best!!! Thank you so much!!