Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Fibonacci broccoflower, wild berries, and pie


Here's a strange one from Farmer Dave's garden (above).
We decided to call it a
Fibonacci broccoflower,
and we stand before it in awe. I don't know if we'll eat it or just worship it.

And this shows what happens in the Pacific Northwest
if you don't keep on top of those
wild blackberry vines.
They reach up and out from the woods and cover everything in their path. But we tolerate them to some extent because they do give us sweet wild berries every fall, like this cluster outside our back door.


Mmmmm ...
Blackberry muffins,
Blackberry jam,
Blackberries on pancakes ...

... and a blackberry-apple-rhubarb pie
that our neighbor Rosemary baked for Julia's birthday last week! Notice how she clipped roses from her garden that exactly match the colors of the roses on her china. It was a feast of fruit, flowers and friendship.

Have a colorful day!

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Ladybug said...

I surprised my family one year by serving that "broccoflower" at our Christmas dinner. It makes a very attractive dish and tastes good, besides. With its wonderful green color, it just has to be packed with nutrition.

We've just returned from a long triop, so I'm catching up on your blog here - love both it and your column in the paper, which I read via your blog. You seem to have a quirky sense of humor similar to mine - plus I love color too. Curiosity & enthusiasm make us soul mates, I'm sure and I smile each time I visit here. THANKS for all your efforts!!

Sherrie Spangler said...

Hi Ladybug -- Thanks for your comments! I love your blog, too. You are a wonderful poet and photographer, plus I learn a lot about nature from your posts.

The broccoflower was delicious -- mild and fresh tasting. We steamed it lightly and then tossed it with pasta and some other veggies.