Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Monday, September 13, 2010

Texas book -- I'm in!


Just when I had given up hope that "Forest Fire Spirits" would be selected for the Texas quilt book (see post in July), I got an e-mail today from Karey Bresenhan that it will be included! It sure made my day. She said there will be 200 quilts featured in "Lone Stars III: Texas Quilts Today," to document Texas quiltmaking from the past 25 years.

This was my very first 100 percent me art quilt. Up until then, I had either followed traditional patterns (usually with non-traditional fabric) or created my own design but used commercial fabric. For this one, I painted ALL of the fabric, except the black, and created the design on the living room floor because my sewing room was too small. Since then it's been pretty much all original except when my mind needs to take a rest and I fall back on a soothing traditional style. 

I made it in 1997 when I lived in El Paso, Texas.

















These are the roses that our neighbor gave Julia last week with her birthday pie. They graced our kitchen table for nearly a week, blooming bigger every day.

Have a colorful Day!

4 comments:

Julaine said...

congratulations, girlfriend!!! do you think rockford was holding you back?

Sherrie Spangler said...

Are you kidding? With our Three Muses fame and all of our fabulous exhibits?

The Idaho Beauty said...

Congrats! Always great to be "published". Coveting those roses. The one bloom I got on my struggling Tropicana was neatly nipped off by a passing deer...must have looked like dessert!

Ladybug said...

Congratulations - the fact that you were accepted does not surprise me.You are a gifted artsit!