Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

'Shroom towns


I just realized that I snubbed mushrooms during this year's Thanksgiving feast, so to to appease the mushroom gods I'm giving them their own blog post today.


I took these photos a few weeks ago, all within a few feet of our mailboxes by the neighbors' cow pasture. Each cluster reminded me of a little mushroom village.

This white one is showy, but notice the purplish ones in the upper right.



The Pacific Northwest is famous for its plethora of mushrooms, thanks to our damp, dark climate. We are loaded with mushroom clubs and individuals who forage for morels, chanterelles and "magic" mushrooms.


(Sorry for the blurriness of these last few.)


I am definitely not an expert on 'shrooms, except for eating them, so if any of you can identify the ones in the photos I'd welcome your comments. Any mycologists out there?


Have a magical day

No comments: