The challenge quilt's deadline is March 1 and I still hadn't decided over the weekend what kind of background to use. Black would be an easy solution -- it really sets off the colors -- but I'm tired of black.
I thought this batik (above) would work because it has the same colors, but the quilt just disappeared against it. On the other hand, that could be an interesting effect.
Then I pulled out the veggie print that also matched the colors exactly, but it overwhelmed the quilt.
I like it against this piece of fabric that I painted last year, but the piece wasn't big enough and I don't feel like pulling out the painting supplies. In the photo below I tested a strip of pink to see how it might work bordering the edges of the pieced section.
Finally I went to the quilt shop (as if I don't have enough fabric in the stash) and settled on the whimsical pink raindrops on green batik. Rain for the garden. I also went with the pink border to set the quilt off from the background print. Now it's quilt, quilt, quilt. Should be done tomorrow!
Have a colorful day!