Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Friday, February 1, 2013

Spring quilts REJECTED

"Spring Awakening" by Sherrie Spangler, copyright 2013

I just got the emails today that both of the quilts I submitted to IQA's "Celebrate Spring" exhibit were rejected. My only consolations are that there was no entry fee and only 38 total were accepted. So now I can show you the one I was working on this month right up until deadline. It's the top one, titled "Spring Awakening." 

The second one, below, is an oldie but one of my favorites because I like the texture of the torn, woven strips.
 
"Spring" by Sherrie Spangler, copyright 2006





Here are closeups. I used hundreds of seed and bugle beads plus gold thread on the one featuring the photo of my daughter because I wanted it to shine. I also mixed a little pearlescent paint into the green and blue fabric paint. I hand embroidered around the motifs to give them more definition.


French knots, seed beads and bugle beads.



 
The second one also has gold thread but no beads. It's embellished with textured yarn woven in with the torn fabric strips.



Have a colorful day


9 comments:

ellen gets crafty said...

BUMMER!!! I think your quilts are beautiful!

Annette said...

That's a shame..hugs

The Idaho Beauty said...

Wow, wow and WOW! I just don't get why you keep being snubbed. This is so fabulous - Julia should be proud to have her image on it. So tasteful, so hopeful, so mysterious, so wonderfully embellished. Should I go on? ;-) Spring Awakening creates such a mood - well, hopefully you will find another exhibit for it, but if not, certainly not time wasted. I can't stop gushing...

And then "Spring" so totally different - really shows how your journey keeps evolving. Interesting that there is 6 years between the two.

Terri Stegmiller said...

I'm sorry to hear you weren't juried in. You should still be proud of doing such wonderful work and for entering anyway.

Julia said...

LAME. They don't know what they're missing. I am proud to be featured, though. I wonder what their choices were...

Edith Bieri-Hanselmann said...

Both quilts are great.
Edith

Judy Ferguson said...

Rejection is all part of what makes us better. Well, and then there is that part about stupid judges too. So just set them aside for another competition. You will be better but judges will still be stupid. lol

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Sherrie, I think they are lovely! I have only submitted one quilt for a competition, and didn't get accepted, but I learned so much from the experience as far as expanding my techniques that it was worth it. You obviously put a great deal of thought and effort into both these pieces, and you should be proud of the results!

Sherrie Spangler said...

Thanks, everyone. Even though they got rejected, I'm still really happy with both of them and I love looking at the colors, so I'm not too bummed. I appreciate all of your comments.