Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Friday, August 5, 2016

Catching up


Our gorgeous summer weather has me spending more time outside than at the sewing machine, but I did manage to finish quilting the baskets. I'm saving the binding for a rainy day. 


I also spent days ripping out the quilting on the wool birds. I used the same wool batting that Sue Spargo uses in her wool quilts, but I decided it was way to puffy for my minimal quilting in the ditch. It looked puffy, warped and amateurish. My Sew Day group agreed it had to be ripped out. 

I'm not sure how I'm going to finish it, but we talked about using flannel instead of batting. I'm thinking of just putting on a backing and anchoring everything with buttons.


Earlier this week my daughter and I went on a road trip to Eastern Washington. The photo below is at a scenic overlook on the Columbia River Gorge. While we were standing there, two Blue Angels screamed overhead and dipped their wings, prompting everyone to duck and cover their ears.


And last but not least: WILLIE! Lots of cowboy hats in this crowd at Marymoor Park.


Have a colorful day

4 comments:

sonja said...

What a "yummy summery baskets" quilt, ready for a rainy day binding session!
We are mostly humid to muggy and dodging tropical storms with receiving rain remnants and grateful for fans. Love Willie ! Aloha, Sonja

The Idaho Beauty said...

That basket quilt is not my style, but I love what you've done with the colors and especially how you quilted it. As I noted the excellent choice of slightly wavering parallel lines I remembered what you said about quilting being your least favorite part. This must have been fairly stress free and works really well.

As for the bird quilt, how disappointing to put in the time quilting it only to see it wasn't working. If you want to try a different batting, you might consider Hobbs Thermore - their very thin poly batt. I use it a lot for wall hangings where I don't want a lot of definition in the quilting but don't want something perfectly flat either. (It's what I used in Masks because it is easy to hand quilt, then worried if it would have enough stability for all those beads I added later - it did!) You might also consider felt which you can get by the yard quite cheaply, also shows little definition when quilted but adds great stability. You wouldn't even have to add backing if you did that.

Whatever you choose, I'm anxious to see the finished product. :-)

Robbie said...

You did a great job on the basket quilt!! Very nice! I'm the opposite...temps in high 80's - 90's and humid...ugh...can't do anything outside. Poor dogs only getting one walk in the morning. way too hot at night!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

The basket quilt is very cheery! I don't do traditional piecing, but would be tempted to try this. And I do hope you can find a treatment you like to show off your birds - they are so beautiful, and you have put so much time into them. Willie, indeed! Never been to a concert - his or anyone else's - but I know I would enjoy one of his for sure! Hard to believe I was in my 40's before I started listening to him, and discovered I love his music!