Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Friday, December 21, 2018

Happy Winter Solstice

My winter quilt, "Waiting For Spring."



Winter Solstice is today -- the first day of winter and the point where we get a wee bit more light every day. There is light at the end of the tunnel in the long, dark, rainy days of the Northwest.


Joy

During those dark days, a shining light in my life is yoga with friends and wonderful teachers, like Joy, our Thursday teacher. After yesterday's practice, in honor of the solstice, Joy left us with this thought by Hafiz, a 14th-century Persian poet:

"I wish I could show you,
when you are lonely
or in the darkness,
the astonishing LIGHT
of your own being."

Jillian

And today, Jillian offered this reading at the end of class:

"The winter solstice marks the longest night of the year. It is a turning point, signifying the rebirth of the sun and the return of light. 

"It is from darkness that inspiration, strength and life eventually emerge. It is in darkness that our inner light is lit.

"Let go of what is not needed anymore. Celebrate the power of faith, that your dreams and affirmations will come into manifestation.

"On this day, make a conscious effort to increase the amount of light, positive thoughts and love in and around you."
                                               -- source unknown


So, on this solstice, I will balance the light and the dark. I will rejoice in the light of friendship and then snuggle into the cozy cocoon of my home.

Orion, as seen by the Hubble telescope.

Have a colorful day


5 comments:

sonja said...

What great solstice post especially the Hafiz quote!
Happy yuletide season to you Sherrie and those dear to you!

Robbie said...

Your piece, winter solstice, is wonderful!!!!! I actually enlarged it to see up close! A great piece!!!!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Beautiful sentiments, Sherrie... thank you for sharing them. And Happy Holidays to you and Dave!

Lynda said...

What a lovely post. Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to you and yours and thanks for all of the inspiration you give me.

The Idaho Beauty said...

I'm sorry I didn't get back to you in time to include parts of my enclosure to you. Even without it, this is a lovely and inspiring post.