Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Sunday, December 30, 2018

Makers' Mercantile field trip


My Sew Day group always goes to a fun quilt store and then has lunch for our Christmas get together, and last week we went to a fabulous place called Makers' Mercantile in Kent, WA. It has very colorful fabric, felted wool, trims, buttons, yarn, and even a cafe in the back.


Linda P.  zeroed in on the wool, while Carolynn admired a surface designed silk scarf and the dyes to make it.


Nancy was a happy lady when she found all the trims ...


... and our bag lady, Linda J., hit the jackpot with embroidered purses that would look great when she goes to Mexico.


I didn't buy this pouch, but it sure sums up my philosophy!


After two hours of shopping and talking, we headed to a three-hour lunch, gift exchange and girl talk at Stanford's restaurant. All five of us had chicken barbecue quesadillas.


For this year's gift exchange, we decided to make each other mug rugs. Linda P. gave us chocolate and wine to go with hers!


Carolynn embroidered the beautiful mug rug above, and Linda J. used selvages, ultra suede and a funky trim on hers.


Nancy made snuggly, warm wool applique mug rugs. 



They're all so nice that I don't know if I'll actually put anything on them. I may just admire them and let them remind me of our friendship.

Have a colorful day


1 comment:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Ooh, that looks like such a great place to shop! I'm jealous! You're right, that pouch definitely has your message! And the mug rugs are wonderful... much larger than what I make, but they are amazing!
Happy New Year Sherrie, and see you in a few months!