Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Christmas sewing and baking

"Starry Night," 52 by 25 inches
We've set the clocks back and it's dark and rainy, which means I'm already turning to the brightness of Christmas to pull me through. 

I just finished this wool and cotton quilt based on the Wendy Williams pattern "Flocks By Night." I modified it a little, using more trees and fewer houses and omitting the colorful lights on the trees. I also left out the flock of sheep.


I was planning to sew buttons on the trees for the lights, but after I did the swirling quilting I decided I liked the trees au natural.


Then I whipped out five little stockings for my daughter's five little bunnies, because I'm going to spend Christmas with them!!!



Here are the little cuties.
I can't wait to snuggle with them!


Then there is the holiday baking, which I always start early and put in the freezer. First up were orange pound cake mini loaves. Of course, I had to eat one to make sure they were gift worthy.


I'm also going to make cherry almond, chocolate peppermint, and eggnog loaves -- all new recipes for me. And maybe my standard pumpkin chocolate chip. I have to make a lot, because I tend to go into the freezer before Christmas and eat some before it's time to give them as gifts.


Outside, we still have very nice color on the trees.


 Have a colorful day

3 comments:

Robbie said...

Love what you did with the Christmas quilt! It looks perfect!!! And Cheery!!! I too freeze as it's so much easier for those company dinners!! Happy you are spending time with the five grand bunnies and your daughter!!!! ENJOY!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

The quilt is lovely! Don't know how the original pattern would have looked, but yours is perfect for the season!
Oh, my... a basket full of sweet bunnies! They are beautiful, and your stockings for them are so cute. What will you put in them?
The baked goodies look really yummy, and I'll bet your home smells delightful with all those wonderful baking aromas coming from the oven. Mmmmmm!!!

The Idaho Beauty said...

That is a fabulous tree shot. And that is a fabulous quilt - I can't believe how much I like it because I normally don't go so much for this style. We got snow on Tuesday which has hung around and my neighbor kids managed to make 3 big snowmen that the cold has preserved. I never let myself start thinking Christmas until after Thanksgiving but I have to admit it I kept thinking I should be putting on Christmas music as the snow came down. :-)

I am struggling with the time change and early darkness. My mind just automatically shuts down and thinks it's time to quit doing things as soon as it gets dark. I'm having to actively force myself away from the tv and sofa and up to my studio for a few more hours of work before dinner. But I have those daylight bulbs in there, so if I can just enter the room, those lights magically wake me up and get me motivated again. Sounds like you are battling this well with your projects and baking. And seeing that bundle of bunnies at Christmas time is sure some incentive!