Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Friday, November 8, 2019

Loose threads


Time to catch up after not blogging for a week because (1) I was visiting my family in Los Angeles and (2) my phone/camera crashed.


I had a good visit with my parents, who are pushing 90 but still work out at the gym six days a week. And three of those days are 45-minute workouts on weights, plus my dad does 80 ab crunches! They put me to shame. I'm the one whose check engine light has come on, not them.


This is the sunset from their living room. I had dozens of beautiful sunset photos, but when my camera crashed I lost everything except for a few that I had already texted to my kids. Luckily, they were able to send them back to me. This is the only sunset photo that I have, and the photo below is from the cliffs near their home on Lunada Bay on the Palos Verdes Peninsula.


This next one is at Hermosa Beach. I couldn't believe that it was November and sunny and 70 degrees with people flying kites, playing beach volleyball, swimming, sunning, and packing the outdoor cafes as if it were summer.


Back home we had sunshine but it was chilly. Today I walked with the Feet and Forks on the Cushman Trail, then we had lunch at Morso's, with this view of the harbor:


Normally we don't get dessert, but this time we all got mini mousses. Mmmmm.


I'm also working on my Starry Night quilt, doing free-motion quilting in swirls. It's almost done!


 Have a colorful day



4 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Ooh, sorry to hear about your phone/camera! Glad you were able to retrieve at least some of your photos. Your folks look great, and good for them! I'm doing good getting to exercise class twice a week... too many things get in the way of going more often, but at least I'm getting some exercise.
As for the weather in CA, that's pretty typical for this time of year if I remember correctly. We lived inland, and I remember temps up to the 90's even in November.
Love how your quilt is coming out... your swirls are lovely. Can't wait to see it when you finish.

Lynda said...

That is so great that your parents are still active and healthy! Sounds like you had a great trip. What role models! Sorry about your phone. Love your Feet and Forks group got out and also ate mousse. Yum! Quilt is looking great.

Robbie said...

That's why I walk my dogs twice a day and keep off the couch/chair during the day! Kudo's to your parents...but that's what keeps them healthy and young!!! Now to convince my hubby of this...although, now that he's into radio controlled planes he is busy in his work room downstairs...but then he flies his planes using the simulator on his laptop! HA Glad you had such a wonderful time and spending quality time with your parents is great!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Too too bad about losing all those photos, although the sunset one that made it is gorgeous. Your parents are amazing if they are doing all that at the gym so many days a week. I can barely manage a couple of yoga sessions a week and my daily mile walk. They sure look great. Glad you got the chance to spend some time with them.