Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Saturday, November 30, 2019

Giving thanks


Instead of starting with food for the Thanksgiving post, I'm starting with what I am most thankful for this year, even though they weren't with me in person. 

My daughter, who is vegan for moral reasons, visited a farm animal sanctuary in Spokane over the holiday where she snuggled chickens and turkeys and pet the pigs, cows, goats, rabbits and other peaceful creatures who are now living a safe life at the sanctuary. 


My son, who had a vegan Thanksgiving with his wife and in-laws in Illinois, reportedly snuggled their little dog for most of the day. 



My parents, below, celebrated at home in California with my brother.  My sisters were in Minneapolis and Port Townsend. Thanks to smart phone cameras and messaging, I felt connected to them all across the miles.


I started the day alone with a brisk walk in the neighborhood. This is the first time in 21 years that I haven't hosted Thanksgiving as a team with my husband for a crowd of friends and family, but thanks to my friend Carol I wasn't alone for long.



Carol graciously invited me to celebrate at her home with her husband, Steve, and a college friend of Carol's who drove up from Oregon. I felt so thankful that I was included. 



Carol eyes the pies.
I hope all of you had a wonderful holiday.




Have a colorful day

2 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Beautiful post, Sherrie! Family can always include our non-blood family, like good friends. We celebrated the day with my friend Cinde, who is one of my many "sisters", just as you are! I'm thankful for you, and my other family, none of whom are blood relations! <3

Robbie said...

What a really cool post!!! I can see how you felt connected even with the miles in between you all! We have to be thankful for all the little things in our life as well as the big events don't we!