Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Friday, January 17, 2020

Bum thumb and no snow

My new splint for arthritis in the thumb.

I finally went to a doctor about the arthritis in my thumb that has all but put a stop to my hand stitching. He told me I have "severe very advanced end stage basically nothing left in my joint" arthritis!

He said I'd be an immediate candidate for surgery if I wanted that, but I said I'd like to try some less extreme measures first. So he gave me a splint and a steroid injection. I'd always heard that those injections in the thumb hurt like hell, but it was nothing compared to the pain I've been putting up with for years when using that thumb.

If the injection is going to work, I should know in the next few days. If not, then I'll probably get surgery later this year.


Then there's the letdown from not being buried in snow and having to stay home and live on comfort food while watching a storm howl outside. We got a little snow early in the week, but the roads stayed clear so life went on as usual. The photo above shows how it looked yesterday -- sunny and not a speck of snow left on the ground. Below is earlier in the week, but that melted by the next day.


The day we got the snow started in yoga class, where we have a view of majestic trees from the wall of windows on the second floor of the Y.


It's pretty awesome to do tree pose while looking out at those big trees swaying in the wind.


I'll end with this Peanuts observation and will try to seize each day, snow or not, arthritis pain or not.


 Have a colorful day


5 comments:

sonja said...

A thumb pain is a bummer thing to live with ! Sometimes my right thumb, the hand that grips everything including fabric work, looks more like a drumstick! i remind myself not to grip so tightly, often ! So am i losing my grip?....that ship has sailed.
You might need to go for the surgery as doctors are doing some good repairing with some of your own parts.

Robbie said...

Sorry about the thumb/wrist. I had injections in both of mine and they really do help!! Plus, I use the splint when I do any free motion or even when I'm cleaning/etc. You can wear rubber gloves over the splint too!! Any repetitive motion is a killer. Beading doesn't both me too much nor does the Portuguese knitting method but if I do hand embroidery, repetitive..really does bother me. good luck...keep that splint on!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

When I saw the doc for carpal tunnel surgery, the NP moved my thumb around and said "feel that"? Your thumb is very arthritic. Between that and the CT I had a hard time gripping. I originally thought there would be some surgery on my elbow because it hurt so bad. Just a spur and an injection fixed that right up. Hope yours does the trick for your thumb.

Today Northern Indiana has snow...sleet...freezing rain followed by a thaw and temps drop to single digits tonight. Wish I could send you MY snow.
xx, Carol

The Idaho Beauty said...

Huh. Didn't know there was such a thing as a thumb splint. I don't blame you for wanting to try that first. Too many doctors are quick to say surgery is the answer and that is not always so or necessary. Anyway, glad you got checked out and hope that steroid shot helps. For some people it can work wonders. We sure don't want you to have to stop hand stitching!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Sorry about no snow, but winter's not over yet... I have a friend who lives in British Columbia who got some along with bitter cold temps. And I heard that north of where you are they got snowed in!
As for your thumb, sounds like the warranty has run out... hope the splint and shot help, but sounds like no cartilage, so probably will mean surgery at some point. As much as you use your hands, you'll probably benefit from the procedure. Hang in there, and easy does it.